Friday, June 24, 2011

Another member of the Homer "Iron Men" heard from

Saw in the Homer Guardian-Journal that Sammy Camp and wife Julie were given  the Homer Heritage award for business and community service.  They founded Red River Pharma and have served their church and community in many ways and have been married for 51 years.  I could not recognize either one from their pictures in the newspaper.The last time I saw Sammy, over 40 years ago, he asked me if he would have been better off if he had gone to LSU instead of Tulane. I told him I didn't think it  was a mistake.  Sammy was a member of the 1957 football team famed as the Iron Men.  From that team Ray Wilkins, Bobby Flurry and Fred Miller played for LSU the same time.  Fred made all=American and played professional with the BaltimoreColts.

All of them played American Legion baseball for me and all took part in basketball and track.  Sammy always wanted to run the sprints but he  was better as a quarter miler.  I wanted him to try the 880 but he didn't want to do it.  My theory was to try longer and longer distances with the idea that if a sprinter could develop endurance he had an advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment