Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sitting In the Same Pew Till You Think You Own It

Tom, our pastor, said something this week that disturbs me.  He informed  a committee that two visitors said they had seated themselves in a pew when some member asked them to move, saying that they, the visitors, were in  the places where they, the members, always occupied.  I have heard jokes about something like this happening but I never would have believed it of our friendly, warm congregation.

I am very well aware that people get in the habit of sitting on the same bench Sunday after Sunday; we usually sit on the third bench from the front  in the left section.   When the call is made to meet and greet we are greeting the same people Sunday after Sunday.   Maybe, the church should some Sunday ask  everyone to sit anywhere but his  customary pew.

It is not just in church where an individual sits in the same place so long he begin to think he owns  it. Some 20 to 25 years ago I stopped in a Burger King, ordered a sausage biscuit and coffee, and sat in a chair at a table for two.  A somewhat older man walked up to me and in an angry voice said, "Move. You're in my chair. I have been coming here for years and I always sit there.  Get up."  I was shocked but then it was so crazy I laughed and got up.  An employee came over to me upset, but I assured her I was not angry, only amused.  The place was almost empty at the time.but only one chair would do for that customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment