Friday, February 18, 2011

February 19 Is 66th Anniversary of Invasion of Iwo Jima

Why do I observe the anniversary of  the battle for Iwo Jima when it is just one of many, many World War Two battles and one of many islands captured by the United States in the Island Hopping campaign in the South Pacific?  One very good reason is I was there and at Okinawa and not at any other battle, island or otherwise.
Other reasons are its importance, the many casualties, the remarkable bravery of  the  Marines. and the famous photograph taken by Joe Rosenthal.

The United States and Japan both considered this island of vital importance.  Tokyo Rose implied that if we took the island Japan could not win the war.  Iwo Jima had  two airports and fighter planes that could attack our bombers on the way  to Tokyo and on the way back.  A radar station gave early warning to the Japanese when our bombers were on the way. Taking the island allowed us to use fighters to protect the bombers and provided a place for returning damaged planes to land..

Because Japan  recognized its vital importance, resistance was determined and ferocious.  Japan lost 21,000 killed and 1,000 captured while American losses totaled 28,000, including 6,800 killed. 

Our ship, the USS Pickens, put Marines ashore and brought the wounded back as we were an auxiliary hospital ship.  My regular duties was as a radarman, but when we were putting Marines in boats I manned phones at a debarkation station.  Therefore, I was in position to see the American  flag go up on Mt. Suribachi, come down, and go up again.  That was when Rosenthal took the picture that is so well known,.

4 comments:

  1. Roy,
    Since my Dad was on the Pickens with you, I appreciate your comments and observance today.
    I enjoy your blog.
    Hope you are well.
    John White
    Son of Mark M. White

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, it is good to hear from you. I have thought about you and appreciate all the material you sent me about the Pickens and your dad. I know your dad knew Joe Rosenthal personally and was a photographer as well as a pharmacist mate. I have been wondering -- did he serve in a beach party?
    Roy Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy,
    His main duty was X-Ray technician but he made at least one beach landing that I can see from his letters. He wrote, "Five of us medics went ashore but only two of us came back."
    Also in the same letter, "I spent 18 to 20 hours for each day, three days straight, taking X Rays of legs, arms, backs, and one poor guy who had his lower jaw shot off."
    Even though he's been gone since 1981, I feel connected to him when sharing this with you.
    Thanks.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Roy, my father was on the USS Pickens. I would sure like it if I could talk to you, email with you about the USS Pickens. I am looking for any crew photos or pictures. My father was Warren Steinbecker, He always said he was a store keeper on the ship. Our home burned down and we lost all photos of my dad, all his medals and uniform. I remember one picture he had that he said was a tradition that sailors did when they crossed the Ecuador. I seen a bunch of sailors in their under ware, need I say more? We have a shell left in my brothers possession that has some kind of script on it. My brother and I are not talking for now, but I have sent my sister to covertly write down what is on it. I always presumed that it was given to him upon exiting the navy after the war. Unfortunately my father and I did not talk much about the war. He would just speak in short one line sentence when asked and he would move on, change the subject. He died in 2000 and like most children must feel – wish we had talked more. He was not a huger or an. I love you kind of guy. I feel a great need to find out more about his time during the war, as I am just getting into this genealogy stuff.

    Ron Steinbecker (Warren Steinbecker)
    314-599-6060
    ronsteinbecker@att.net

    ReplyDelete