Sunday, February 27, 2011

Song "He Touched Me" Always Touches Me

Since I complained about the selection of music last Sunday, I must be fair and praise the  selection this  Sunday, although,   I am dissatisfied that only three hymns were sung,  those being  "Holy, Holy, Holy,"  "Blessed Assurance," and "He Touched Me.

I cannot sing or hear sung "He Touched Me" without being affected emotionally.  The poem does not compare as literature to those written by great hymn writers such as Issac Watts, but the message is clear and like a testimonial, similar to the message of  "He Lives,"  as I pointed out last week  --"You ask me how I know He lives, He lives within my heart.:"  It is true for you or it isn't.

William Gaither wrote "He Touched Me" in 1963.  He had written 153 songs previously but none had been big nationally.  Dozens of  artists sang it, and Elvis Presley headlined it an album in 1972 that sold more than a million albums in America and won the Grammy for him.   Gaither and wife Gloria have written a number of songs including "Because He Lives" and "The King Is Coming.:" 

                                   He touched me, Oh He touched me,
                                   And Oh the joy that floods my soul!
                                   Something happened and now I know
                                   He touched me and made me whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment