Friday, December 24, 2010

Before Air Conditioning Became Automatic in Cars

When cars first came out with air conditioning, I was convinced that I would  never   be such a softy that I would resort to such a luxury; of course it wasn't long until I didn't see how I could exist without it.

For a few years most cars on the road were manufactured before air conditioning was even an option. My landlady had a green Oldsmobile 98 in excellent condition, with low mileage, and without air.  When she went to the wedding of her son to a girl in Texas, she saw everyone driving with windows closed because they had air.
Rather than let  people know her car was not air conditioned, she chose to keep her windows closed and suffer  the heat.

Even though I bought a house (which I rented) she was my landlady all the years I spent in Homer, and she and her family became like family to me.  I was a pall bearer for her husband and her son.

No comments:

Post a Comment