Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Museum to Honor Soldiers of the "Forgotten War"

I and, I'm sure several million others, have been "specially chosen" to be a founding member of a museum to honor men and women who served during the Korean War.  A letter from Clint Eastwood, a veteran of the war, accompanies the invitation to join in constructing the museum in Chicago. More than 54,000 Americans died in the war but they have been almost forgotten. Why is that?  Perhaps because the war followed World War II so closely or because we fought as part of the UN forces, or perhaps because the war ended in a stalemate that is still unresolved.  None of that was the fault of those who served.

Many who served were veterans of  WW II.  As a member of the Navy reserves, I expected to be called back but escaped it.  I got so tired of going to the post office each morning expected to get a notice to report that I decided to end the suspense and volunteer.  I wanted the best deal I could get.  The Air Force offered me a commission as a public service officer while the Navy wanted be back as a radar man.  Eventually I decided to wait it out, and I wasn't called.  I had friends who were not so lucky and had to serve even though they had just started a family.

I am a founding member of the World War II museum in New Orleans and agree the Korean veterans deserve their museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment