Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Ride in the Mountains with the Grey Lady

I was excited.  A "grey lady" was taking several of on a scenic automobile ride.  It was my first outing from the naval hospital, and I had been looking forward to it.  Soon we were in the car and on our way.  In a few minutes we were away from San Diego environs and in  the mountains.  The highway twisted and turned but our  driver sped along without regard to the curves.  I looked out the window and could see no highway, only space straight down.  The lady talked a blue streak; that was okay but she would turn and look at us in the back seat.instead of the road ahead.  I wanted to shout, lady please keep your eyes on the highway.  I wanted to go back to the hospital. She didn't short change us; we drove for several hours in the mountains.  When we returned to the hospital, I said to myself  "Nevermore."  I wasn't the only one who was frightened. Others promised that it was their last ridge with a grey lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment