Friday, September 17, 2010

I Very Nearly Did Not Join the Crew of the USS Pickens

The meningitis ward of the Sand Diego Naval Hospital was not crowded, and I was supposed to spend more weeks there then go  to rehabilitation for light duty and liberty before reporting back for active duty. I had lost to 105 pounds and need to gain weight and strength.  However, I realized I had become comfortable and lazy in the  hospital and should leave.  Some one would bring my food trays if I didn't want to expend even that much energy. I had companions to socialize with, music in earphones, some reading material, and occasionally movies on a small screen.  I didn't even  go outside on the hospital grounds much any more.  I did not want to leave this comfort zone so I had to force myself to make a break, though dreading what the future might hold.  I demanded to be discharged immediately and after I was clear of  fever a day and a night, my petition was granted. I went back to Camp Elliott to await orders.  I was there only a few days before orders came sending me to Bremerton, Wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment