Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Crew of USS Pickens Travels by Train to Astoria, Or.

A very few days after I joined the crew in Bremerton we boarded a train and headed to Astoria to commission the Pickens and begin our service on board.  I have no memory leaving Bremerton and none of arrival in
Astoria, but I have memories of the middle of the trip.  Our train broke down in a rural area, the only signs of civilization a small village.  It was large enough to have a cheese factory and the kind residents gave us all the cheese we could eat.  A small dog seemed to like us and we fed him cheese.  No matter how much we offered him he accepted it.  I often wondered if he survived after eating so much cheese.  Several hours after the train stopped another locomotive arrived and we completed our journey.  I invite any former Pickens crew members or members of their families to add their own or their relative's memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment