Tuesday, August 3, 2010

USS Pickens Arrives in San Francisco to Prepare to Invade Japan

Just before dawn in a heavy fog the USS Pickens crept under the Golden Gate bridge and dropped anchor at San Francisco after an absence of some 10 months.  We had been briefed that we would be there only a few days, long enough to load on supplies and embark the 86th  "Blackhawk" Division  and with a large contingent of men and ships  would invade Japan.  That may be all we knew at the time but we were to invade the Japanese island of  Kyushu November 1, an operation called Olympic, part of the overall operation termed Downfall. A second part of the invasion, designated Coronet, would  hit Honshu  March l. The navy expected casualties of 50 per cent, which to us meant one of every two would not return.

That was sobering news but we were excited at being back in the states and having liberty in San Francisco. Also, leaves were to be granted, 12 days to some and 6 days to others, depending upon  some point system  and how far away a person lived. The decision was really made by the division officers. I had never had a day of leave, not after boot camp, not after radar school, and not after being released from the hospital, but I was denied  a 12-day leave and told I lived too far away to get 6 days. I pleaded -- I said let me have 6 days and I will figure a way to get home and return.  I had some tough times in my life, but this was the worst, the lowest I have ever been.  To be in the states, to be going to a battle that I most likely would not  likely survive, and yet not see my family for even one hour -- it was devastating.  To make matters worse I had to stand double watches because of people on leave.

Of course, the atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima August 6,  on Nagasaki August 9 , and Japan surrendered August 15.  I was 19 on August 21 but did not remember it until days later when we were at sea. We left San Francisco August 23, proceeded to the Philippines where we left the Blackhawk Division and picked up the troops occupying the Philippines and took them to occupy Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment