Friday, August 13, 2010

Notes About Fred Miller and the Homer Iron Men

I just noticed in the Guardian-Journal that Fred Miller, along with some other sports figures, was inducted into the Ark-La-Tex Museum of Champions in Shreveport.  Fred was a member of the 1957 Homer High School football team that went to the state finals despite being a small squad of around 17 players and playing out of its class, school population wise.  Most of the players on that team had scholarship offers. I hope I am not forgetting anyone but I remember four playing for LSU, one for Tulane and three for Northwestern.  Fred made all-American and played several outstanding years for the Baltimore Colts. However,  the Iron Man who became most famous did not play college football.  Jimmy Andrews, a sophomore on that team, earned a scholarship to LSU but as a pole vaulter. Of course he is now a famous orthopedic surgeon, known for the athletes he has treated.

Three played at LSU at the same time, Fred and Bobby Flurry on the defensive team , theChinese Bandits mostly and Ray Wilkins on the Go Team, specializing in offense.   All three were members of American Legion baseball teams I managed and coached.  Most of our games were at night but on this occasion we were to play Natchitoches there in the afternoon. This was a problem, first in getting enough players together, and second, finding transportation.  I borrowed a car from Pete Pearson of Pearson Motors and that car and mine carried the entire team.  I drove  Pete's car and Fred drove mine. We were short of time and I remember we had to drive pretty fast.  Half the time I was watching the road ahead and the rest of the time I was looking back nervously to watch Fred driving my car.  I remember nothing about the game but we got back to Homer with both cars intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment