Monday, August 9, 2010

Lowe Reunion Held Saturday

Some 60 people met at Caney Lake Saturday afternoon to observe another reunion of descendants of T. T. and Frances Lowe.  A number of the surviving elder members attended but I was glad to see some young adults and children who were attending for the first time. We  mingled, reminisced, ate lunch, sang familiar hymns, and visited some more. During the past year three members of the third generation have died -- Mary Lowe Cassels, John Lowe, and Harry Dodez. We also lost Jen's mother, Ruth Alello, and Julie's mother, Mary Zimmerman.

Mike and Margaret are the only living members of the nine children  of Perry Lowe.  I spent quite a bit of time with them, recalling  many experiences we had shared.  Mike reminded me of the fights I had involved him in, where a larger boy was beating me and Mike had to take up the fight. One fight began on  the school bus, continued on the playground before school and resumed at lunch.  I was called to Mr. Trout's room to testify; Mr. Trout  called on the class for their opinion, and the class voted that Mike did the right thing in taking up for me.

Pat Perryman and Mike remembered spending time in our front room where there was not only a piano but a victrola that you wound up to provide the power for it to play.  I mentioned that at four years old Pat could hear a song on the record player and perform it on the piano.  She said playing by ear was just a God-given talent, and that others had different talents given by God. I said I was still waiting for God to give me a talent, then I said I once told the Sunday School class  that my talent was siding up cotton, but it isn't in demand any more.
Some time I may elaborate on that for future small timecotton growers if such ever exists again.

I wish more of my family could have been there. Maybe next year.( I had forgotten to mention that Margaret gave me a picture of Grandma Lowe in a wheelchair at Waldo where she had fallen and broken her hip.)

No comments:

Post a Comment