Monday, May 17, 2010

Missionary Trip and Other Remarks

Immediately after church services today l3 men left for Dulac where they will work a week repairing two houses. It us remarkable and admirable that a church of this size could have l3 men who are committed, have the time, and are physically able to engage in this mission activity. Some others are expected to join them in this work.

Tom Howe's sermon this morning was on place, a word that can  be used in a good way, as "There is a place for you at my table," or in a bad way, as "There's no place for you here."  He related the  often told story of someone taking a seat in an almost empty church and having a person coming by and say, "Move, you are in my place."  That brought to mind an incident about 20 years ago when I went into a Burger King on Hearne Avenue, got a sausage biscuit, and sat at a table that had two places.  Only three or four customers were in the restaurant when a man walked over to me and said, "Move, that's my place. I've been coming here for years and  I always sit there." I was so surprised, yet amused, that I got up and gave him what must have been  the only reserved seat in any hamburger joint anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment