Monday, April 12, 2010

The Night I Caused General Quarters

We (the USS Pickens) were anchored at Saipan along with a large number of ships when I triggered a call that forced the base and all the ships to report to battle stations. This was in between operations, probably after Iwo Jima but before Okinawa. Our radarmen were not assigned duty this night, but I was in the radar shack and for no real reason turned on the air search radar. I picked up a plane coming towards us and as was routine flipped the IFF switch (Identification - Friend or Foe) expecting to get a coded radio signal confirming the plane was friendly, but I got no signal. I thought it was almost certainly a damaged B29 returning from a bombing raid on Japan, but I was uncomfortable and worried. I pondered for a few moments but eventually I reported an unidentified plane. General Quarters was called, which meant that not only base personnel but every crew member on every ship had to man battle stations. The plane got close enough for powerful search lights to be turned on and it could be identified. The plane had been badly damaged including the radio shot away. I worried that I might be called to account but never heard a word. You can bet I never let any of my shipmates know that I was responsible for yanking them out of bed and sending them to battle stations.

No comments:

Post a Comment