Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Time to plant Irish potatoes

Valentine's Day has come and gone I haven't planted Irish potatoes once again. In fact I do not expect to have any type of vegetable garden this year. When I was a kid on the farm we tried to plant potatoes by Valentine's Day, or as close to this date as possible. Climate conditions used to make this possible. I can also remember setting out onion plants in February, giving time for onions to grow in cool weather. Some people planted corn in February, but my memory is that we usually got corn in the ground in March. We also planted corn in June.

It used to be said it was time to plant cotton when china berry trees began blooming.

1 comment:

  1. I am itching to get the garden going this year. I would like to expand on what I did last year. Would like to get the ground ready this weekend before it rains again, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. But I'm definately ready to get it going.

    ReplyDelete