Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Are you real? Squirrel tails?

A card addressed to my daughter Jessica came in the mail offering to buy squirrel tails with prices ranging from 16 cents to  28 cents each if they are premium and in a lot of 1,000.

I never thought about there being a market for squirrel tails, certainly not that some one would garner enough to make a profit selling them.  The company  provides a long list of instructions of how to handle the tails, but will accept them either "dried or green."     

Squirrels have been scarce in our backyard this summer, probably because we didn't plant a garden and the fig tree bore a poor crop. When we had a couple of apple trees, the squirrels would begin taking bites our of them while they were small and immature so that we seldom got any apples.  The squirrels did hicikory nuts the same way.

We caged our tomatoes, making them more difficult for the squirrels.  Our large fig tree usually bears a crop large enough for both us and the squirrels.

I'm not a hunter and have never killed a squirrel unless I hit one with my car accidentally. I've eaten my share though, in mulligan stew.           

No comments:

Post a Comment