Saturday, September 1, 2012

To the market and the Bentonville museum

We went to that huge Farmers Market in Durham this morning. When I say we I mean all of us -- Jen, Mark and Julie, Jessica, Lily, Oliver and me.  And we didn't waste our time; we picked up pink eye Purple Hull peas, Silver Queen corn, turnip greens, tomatoes, squash, and okra.  Fresh vegetable supper is on the way.

While the others were otherwise occupied, Mark and I went to Bentonville to visit the museum there.The museum is state supported and commemorates the last big battle of the Civil War. We also toured the battleground which has markers for various battles.  While a  draw, the battle was a strategic victory for the North because it failed to stop Sherman's march of destruction through South Carolina and Georgia.

My grandfather, Thomas T. Lowe, fought for the South throughout the war, ending at Bentonville. I asked if he was on the list of those who fought, and the hostess quickly found his name and company. He was in the 12th Louisiana Infantry, Conpany G. (found on page 231 of link)













No comments:

Post a Comment