Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Pickens celebration I don't remember

I've mentioned in an earlier post that while the Pickens made several trips to the Philippines, I have no memory at all of  the Philippines.  Something else mentioned in the "Story of the Pickens" which I do not remember is the celebration of us bringing home to San Pedro troops from Guam.  We were diverted from our home port of San Francisco, the story said.  At San Pedro we were welcomed by the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, U.S, Navy and representatives from Hollywood.  

Telegrams were sent free of charge and thousands of bottles of  fresh milk were given out  I remember drinking glass after glass of milk, so much that I became ill and vomited. That's the only memory I have of that occasion.  We left shortly after for the Philippines to bring other war weary troops home.  We were occupied this way for months as part of the "magic carpet."

No comments:

Post a Comment