Sunday, October 9, 2011

what's a parent to do about failing schools?

My five children are out of Caddo parish's failing schools, but I have grandkids attending schools in Bossier.  While Bossier parish school system gets a grade of C, not all schools are passing.  Schools my grandchildren are attending, Plantation Park and Rusheon, get a grade of D-minus.

I am not interested in finding blame but I charge the state and  parish school officials to find the problems and fix them.  We cannot go  on depriving our young people of a decent education,.

Just for the heck of it I checked the scores of schools my four sons and my daughter attended.  All attended Forest Hill, rate C-, and Ridgewood, which drew a D-.  Four attended Southwood, now D-, and the other attended Caddo Magnet, rated A-. Unless the school is a total failure, the dedicated student with helpful parents can overcome and acquire a passable education, but he or she will suffer in comparison to the student attending the better school. 

In my estimation the most important grades are kindergarten and first grade.  That it where the child learns to read and learns to enjoy reading.  Some teachers are not interested and some parents are unable to help their  child or refuse to take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment