Friday, April 2, 2010

Yesterday I called attention to April 1 being the 65th anniversary of the battle for Okinawa, the last battle of World War II and one so costly in lives expended that President Truman approved dropping the atom bomb, which in turn convinced the Japanese to surrender and end the war. I noted that the day would probably pass unremarked. There was not even a mention in the newspapers I read, and I doubt the TV news programs said much if anything about the day. World War II veterans are fast dying out, but they are being forgotten even faster. I could not even get my family to become knowledgeable about the battle and its importance to the nation. Thank God we still have some young people who care enough about their country to serve in the armed forces though risking mutilation and death. I hope they will be remembered for their sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment