Friday, March 19, 2010

Struck by Liightning (almost)

I was picking peas fairly far from the house when, typically for summer, a thunderstorm came up suddenly with thunder and lightning and rain beginning to fall. I started home jogging along a path through the field when lightning flashed and thunder clapped simultaneously and I felt as if the top of my head had caught fire. I began to run as fast as I could, scattering peas along the path. When I got home I burst through the door and shouted that I had been hit by lightning.
Everyone laughed at me and said if that happened I would be dead. Sometime after the storm we went into the field and discovered that a telephone pole by the path had strips of wood torn from it and scattered along the path. Evidently the lightning had hit the pole or the telephone wire as I passed under it.

No comments:

Post a Comment